Click on a title to open an audio window for a poem.
- What It's Like to Be a Black Girl
- (For Those of You Who Aren't)
A poetic introduction.
- Terrell's Take on Things
- A trip to the corner stylist. [published: "Close to Death"]
- Biting Back
- A mother watches her son come of age. [published: "Big Towns, Big Talk"]
- An inside-out appreciation of racist violence. [published: "Big Towns, Big Talk"]
- Chinese Cucumbers
- Sound-track to the original poetry video; a pre-protease reflection
on the desperation for a cure. [published: "Big Towns, Big Talk"]
- Dark Magicians
- A pondering on the likelihood of men lynching themselves in jail.
- Sweet Daddy
- A signature poem, Smith has closed many readings with this particular
piece that is dedicated to her father, Otis Douglas Smith. [published: "Close to Death"]
Audio recordings presented herein are copyright
© 1994, Patricia Smith. Duplication of these recordings in any
form is not allowed without the express written consent of the artist.